"Learning with AIM is so practical and relevant to what I’m doing at work on a day-to-day basis."
The financial health of a business is of course important, and while most organisations will have dedicated accounting professionals, it is highly valuable for all members to be able to interpret and report on financial activity. Our Introduction to Accounting short course, facilitated by experienced industry practitioners based in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Adelaide, will assist you to identify your unique leadership style and give you the tools and knowledges to adapt to different situations and needs.
Upon completion of this short accounting course you’ll be able to:
- Collect and analyse financial data to ensure consistency, quality, and accuracy while identifying discrepancies, unusual features, or queries
- Correctly record income and expenditure to ensure compliance with statutory requirements while ensuring that statements take full advantage of available benefits
- Provide recommendations to enhance the effectiveness of functions and prioritise significant issues in statements including comparative financial performances for review
- Ensure the structure and format of reports are clear and conform to organisational and statutory requirements
Our two-day Introduction to Accounting short course will cover all the fundamental aspects of accounting from taxation to correct reporting.
The course will cover basics of accounting, including:
- The four most common business structures
- Statutory requirements
- The primary federal taxes: income tax, capital gains tax, goods and services tax, and fringe benefits tax
- Core conventions and principles
Once you have an understanding of these core concepts, this course will investigate the practices of effective accounting:
- Chart of accounts
- The seven stages of the accounting process
- The three categories of transactions
- Journal entries and the general ledger
- How to adjust trial balances
The final section of the course will examine reporting on financial activity, such as:
- The three primary financial statements: statement of financial position, statement of profit and loss, and statement of cash flow
- Mechanisms for reporting tax liabilities
- Analysing financial data
- Financial forecasting
Upcoming Dates for Introduction to Accounting
On-Campus Workshop – 2 days face-to-face workshops
Our Introduction to Accounting short course is set in interactive classrooms at one of our five campuses across Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, and Adelaide. The benefits of studying in a classroom setting include being able to share first-hand experiences, ideas, and questions with peers and our expert facilitators. You will study alongside like-minded people and strengthen your network.
This Finance course will present you with hypothetical and real-world case studies that demonstrate the concepts of accounting and analysing financial data, with which you will perform practical tasks both individually and in teams to apply your knowledge gained about the best practice of account keeping.
- Comprehensive course notes
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- Internet Access
Please advise AIM when booking if you have any dietary or accessibility requests.
Please note that prices for AIM short courses do not include assessment.
We require full payment to be made upfront prior to attending the training. Payment options we offer include:
- Credit Card (Visa/MasterCard/Amex)
- Direct Deposit (EFT)
- Purchase Order
- Payment Plan - zipMoney
If you would like to spread the cost of your training out our finance partner Zip Money can offer you a line of credit with 6 months interest free and flexible weekly, fortnightly or monthly payment options. For more information on this, visit Zip Money
AIM believes the education of the future managers of Australia to be a highly important task and that these skills are best taught by those with current real-world experience. After all, who is better placed to teach an Introduction to Accounting than someone who manages financial accounts on a daily basis? It is for this reason that AIM facilitators are experienced practitioners with a robust mix of academic and practical expertise.
In-House Training Solutions
Contextualising training engagements for your industry or organisation maximises relevance and increases the transfer of learning into the workplace. Develop team cohesion and achieve your specific business objectives through a shared, in-house learning solution.
AIM’s experienced learning designers develop both accredited and unaccredited learning engagements to build the critical competencies you need for success. Join over 500 organisations creating compelling and engaging AIM tailored learning solutions for industries including Government, Health, Financial Services, Mining, Manufacturing, Construction and more.