History of AIM
The Australian Institute of Management was formed over 70 years ago as part of a national vision to assist managers to secure their future in the ever changing business environment.
Beginning its days in 1941 as the Foremanship Association and then the Institute of Industrial Management of Australia, AIM received its official name change in 1949.
Over the next decade AIM offices in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney were joined by divisions in Brisbane, Hobart and Perth. An office in Canberra followed in 1958 and then in Darwin in the mid-1970s. This federated structure remained in place for over 40 years as the state divisions operated as separate entities under the AIM banner.
In late 2013 an historic merger between the Queensland and Northern Territory, News South Wales and ACT, Victorian and Tasmanian and South Australian divisions of the Australian Institute of Management was overwhelmingly approved by Members.
AIM Western Australia remains a separate body but is committed to working closely with the merged divisions, and will continue to use the Western Australia identifier to distinguish itself from the merged group.