You are here
AIM Policy: Withdrawal, Deferrals and Refunds
AIM's Withdrawal, Deferrals and Refunds policy provides AIM students and staff clear information about AIM’s position in relation to course withdrawal, deferrals and refunds.
The purpose of this policy is to provide AIM students and staff clear information about AIM’s position in relation to course withdrawal, deferrals and refunds.
The policy applies to prospective AIM students and current AIM students enrolled in Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses with AIM.
- AIM complies with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 including the clauses related to informing and protecting students – clauses 5.1 to 5.3.
- AIM complies with the relevant national and state legislation covering fair trading, competition and consumer affairs.
- AIM is committed to ensuring principles of access and equity are adhered to across its operations.
- AIM ensures all students are aware of the terms and conditions of their enrolment.
- All requests for course deferral, extension, course withdrawal, special consideration and refunds must be made in writing to AIM.
- Where a request for course deferral or extension is made the student will need to state the reason(s) for the deferral or extension.
- Course fees paid to AIM are not refundable after the 10-day provisional enrolment period has elapsed unless special circumstances apply. (An enrolment is provisional for 10 days, allowing AIM time to request additional information and for a student to access their course and ensure that the course meets their requirements.)
- All requests for special consideration must be received within 12 months of the student withdrawing from the VET unit of study or if the student has not withdrawn, within 12 months of the end of the period in which the VET unit of study was, or was to be, undertaken.
- When a request is received the student will receive acknowledgement in writing via email from AIM Student Support that the request has been received.
- All requests received by AIM will be processed within 21 days of them being received by AIM Student Support, provided all the required information has been provided.
- AIM will consider all requests in a consistent, transparent, objective and unbiased manner.
- Students will be provided with reasons and full explanation in writing for decisions and actions taken.
- Students have the right to appeal any decision made by AIM.
- Students may withdraw from their course enrolment at any time during their student journey.
- Withdrawing from a course does not guarantee refund of fees. A student withdrawing from a course may remain liable for the payment of the course fees (subject to the terms of enrolment and this policy).
- Students withdrawing from a course prior to completing the qualification will be provided with recognition for any units of competency completed, provided all course fees due have been paid.
- Students considering withdrawing from their course are encouraged to contact AIM Student Support prior to deciding and advising AIM in writing.
In situations where the student is not entitled to a refund of course fees but may meet the requirements for special consideration the student should first discuss with AIM Student Support.
- A student may apply for special consideration in relation to a refund from AIM.
- Appropriate documentation supporting the claim must be provided (it is recommended students discuss this with AIM Student Support prior to submitting their request).
- To grant a refund based on grounds of special consideration, AIM must be satisfied that special circumstances applied to that student and that the circumstances:
- Were beyond the student’s control; and
- Did not make their full impact on the student until on or after the enrolment date; and
- Were such that it made it impracticable for the student to complete their course.
- Special consideration generally cannot be granted for in the following circumstances:
- Changing jobs
- Resigning or termination from the student’s job
- Changing work hours
- Moving address
- Course changes due to a regulatory requirement.
- Finding the course more challenging or time consuming that the student expected
Contacting AIM Student Support
Students can contact AIM Student Support on 1300 761 700 or via email email@example.com.