“For somebody new to the industry that I’m in, the wealth of knowledge I gained from the AIM facilitators is invaluable.”
Today the average worker will send approximately 40 emails. This will take about two and a half hours. With so much of our time at work spent writing and the direct important of professional documents, it’s amazing how little training most people receive. Our Effective Business Writing course, facilitated by experienced industry practitioners based in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Adelaide, will teach you all the techniques and knowledge to effectively develop and create professional business communications.
Upon completion of this short course you’ll be able to:
- Plan, research and outline business documents
- Establish a written ‘voice’ appropriate to your audience and context
- Effectively use language while avoiding pitfalls such as bias and stereotyping
- Create consistency and credibility in your written communications
- Apply editorial and style techniques
- Write accurately, briefly, clearly, and with a recognisable call to action
- Understand how to use illustrations, graphs and white space in document layout
- Proofread, edit and finish complex documents
Our two-day Effective Writing Business course will cover everything you need to know about constructing business documents, from developing the initial plan to editing and proofreading practices.
The short course will cover basics of Effective Writing Business, including:
- The contextual purpose and requirements of business documents
- Common types of documents used by businesses
- Core tenets of quality writing
Once you have an understanding of these core concepts, this course will investigate the specific actions of how to plan and write a document:
- Identifying purpose and audience
- The value of simplicity and “Plain English”
- Generating an empathic connection with your audience
- The primacy of active voice over passive
The final section of the course will examine the activities parallel to writing that ensure documents are effective, such as:
- Successful research practices and how to distinguish between fact and opinion
- Composition and structure of a text
- Formatting basics
- Editing and proofreading
Upcoming Dates for Effective Business Writing
On-Campus Workshop – 2 days face-to-face workshops
Our Effective Business Writing short course is set in interactive classrooms at one of our six campuses across Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, and Mackay. The benefits of studying in a classroom setting include being able to share first-hand experiences, ideas, and questions with peers and our expert facilitators. You will study alongside like-minded people and strengthen your network.
This Communication short course will present you with hypothetical and real-world case studies that demonstrate the concepts of writing effectively in a business setting, with which you will perform practical tasks both individually and in teams to apply your knowledge gained about the best practices for writing business documents.
- Comprehensive course notes
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- Internet Access
Please advise AIM when booking if you have any dietary or accessibility requests.
Please note that prices for AIM short courses do not include assessment.
We require full payment to be made upfront prior to attending the training. Payment options we offer include:
- Credit Card (Visa/MasterCard/Amex)
- Direct Deposit (EFT)
- Purchase Order
- Payment Plan - zipMoney
If you would like to spread the cost of your training out our finance partner Zip Money can offer you a line of credit with 6 months interest free and flexible weekly, fortnightly or monthly payment options. For more information on this, visit Zip Money
AIM believes the education of the future managers of Australia to be a highly important task and that these skills are best taught by those with current real-world experience. After all, who is better placed to teach Effective Business Writing than someone who has both studied the theory and put into the practice the concepts of writing effective business documents? It is for this reason that AIM facilitators are experienced practitioners with a robust mix of academic and practical expertise.
In-House Training Solutions
Contextualising training engagements for your industry or organisation maximises relevance and increases the transfer of learning into the workplace. Develop team cohesion and achieve your specific business objectives through a shared, in-house learning solution.
AIM’s experienced learning designers develop both accredited and unaccredited learning engagements to build the critical competencies you need for success. Join over 500 organisations creating compelling and engaging AIM tailored learning solutions for industries including Government, Health, Financial Services, Mining, Manufacturing, Construction and more.